Photos from the 2018 Conference
View Mary Humphrey's photographs from the 2018 Annual Meeting and Conference on Gypsy / Romani Studies. Credit the photographer if you use the photos.
Conference photos contributed by Harry Bryer and Matt T. Salo
An excursion to Horezu and Costesti took place on September 7 and 8, 2018. The excursion is described by Viorel Achim, the excursion organizer,
1) Visit to a Rudari workshop in BĂBENI village. In Băbeni live many Rudari families and some of them continue to practice their old craft (soft wood processing).
2) Visit to HOREZU (or HUREZI) Monastery, located in the village of ROMANII DE JOS, near the town of HOREZU. The monastery was built between 1690-1693 by the Wallachian prince, Constantin Brâncoveanu, and is a UNESCO monument. It is representative of a style of architecture specific to Wallachia, the "Brâncovenesc" style, which at approx. 1900 was reformulated and generated the so-called "arhitectura neo-brâncoveanescă" (Neo-Brâncoveanu architecture", well represented in Bucharest.
3) Visit to a ceramic workshop in HOREZU.
1) The Museum Complex in MĂLDĂREŞTI (a village), where two "cule" were visited: Cula Greceanu and Cula Duca, build at the beginning of the 16th century. "Cula" (Turkish "kule" = "tower") is a fortified tower or house and was specific for the Balkans in the 16th-18th centuries.
2) Visit to BISTRIŢA Monastery, village BISTRIŢA, commune COSTEŞTI. The momastery was build by a boyar family of Oltenia at approximately 1490, but the church was rebuild in 1844-1855. Since its founding, the monastery is a place of pilgrimage, at the relics of St. Gregorios Decapolitos. Here is also a miracle-working icon. The pilgrimage is on 15 August and 8 September (the Roma particularly participate on this day). After the ceremonies in the monastery the Roma gather in the neighboring field.
All localities mentioned are situated in the county of VÂLCEA, in the historical region of OLTENIA (or LITTLE WALLACHIA or KLEINE WALACHEI).
Photos of Bucharest City and the excursion to Horezu and Costeşti contributed by Harry Bryer, Lena Israel, Airi Markkanen, and Matt T Salo.
Photos from the 2017 Conference
View Mary Humphrey's photographs from the 2017 Annual Meeting and Conference on Gypsy / Romani Studies. Credit the photographer if you use the photos.
Conference photos by László Fosztó.
Video of photos by Chryso Pelekani and University of Cyprus students.
Conference photos by Chryso Pelekani and University of Cyprus students.
Photos from the 2016 conference
Photos by Viorel Achim, László Fosztó, and Matt T. Salo.
Photos from the 2015 Conference
View Mary Humphrey's photographs from the 2015 Annual Meeting and Conference on Gypsy / Romani Studies.